- Suitable for freezing
- Delivered fresh
- Native breed
- Cook on the BBQ
Naturally lean and layered with complex flavours befitting of this natural product, venison haunch steak is a great steak alternative. Quickly seared and served pink, this detail being essential as the fat content is very low. Classically paired with earthy flavours and the sweetness of fruit, we love smashed celeriac and a quick reduction of the pan juices with port or red wine.
Whilst whole haunches are so often roasted and braised these individual leg muscles are brilliant for a quick cook or even eating raw in tartares or carpaccios.
Alternatively, slice these muscles very thinly and flash fry them for jungle curries and perhaps tacos with wonderful burnt tomato & chilli salsas.
Seared and sliced In a sandwich they pair well with pickled fennel, pickled walnut ketchup or sitting high on celeriac rémoulade. A very versatile cut, nonetheless to be cooked quickly and with a leaning towards rare.
Wild, estate-reared venison
- Take venison haunch steaks out of fridge, remove packaging, pat dry with kitchen paper, pop on a plate and allow to reach room temperature
- Oil* the steaks and season generously with coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat a non-stick pan or cast iron skillet until smoking hot
- Add the steaks to the dry pan resisting the urge to move them and turn after 90 seconds - a rich colour should have been achieved
- Once other side has cooked for 90 seconds, reduce heat slightly, turn every 30 seconds or so, repeat for a total cooking time approx. 4-6 minutes for a medium-rare steak
- Remove from pan and rest for 6 minutes
*Select an oil with a high smoking point and neutral flavour
Orders received before 9am are freshly prepared and shipped DPD for next day delivery. We serve the whole of the UK excluding Channel Islands, Northern Ireland, and some parts of Scotland.
Our meat has been celebrated in Britain's best restaurant kitchens for over ten years. There are many who claim to work with native breed farmers, but few who can prove it.
Sustainable & traceable
We have partnerships with selected farms and work with carefully selected local abattoirs so we have confidence in the welfare of the animals and full traceability of all our products.