- Suitable for freezing
- Delivered fresh
- Native breed
- Cook on the BBQ
Flat Iron, a tender steak that boasts flavour to match the prime steaks. Cut from beneath the shoulder blade of the beast by our skilled butchery team, it is naturally lean, sinew-free and perfect to cook year-round.
Val Warner inspires:
Flat Iron steak is, similarly to Featherblade, a well-marbled, easy-to-cook, tender and giving cut. It is super tasty and at its optimum when eaten medium-rare at 53°C. Medium would also deliver joy 54-55°C.
Sliced and served up with porcini mushrooms in creamy or non-creamy variation is a memorable yet simple dish to prepare.
So too scattered with toasted pine nuts and hard-fried artichokes with a lick of oil and lemon and it is delicious.
Or perhaps nothing more complicated than a tomato salad and good bread.
Alternatively, salmoriglio aka Sicilian lemon sauce - made by adding pounded fresh marjoram or oregano to lemon juice, olive oil, a few chilli flakes and garlic crushed with coarse sea salt in a mortar - makes for a most invigorating lunch when served up with crisply fried potatoes with fresh rosemary and more garlic.
Braised gently with a peppers and onions and finished with a little sherry vinegar and toasted almonds shows off this great steak as inspiration to simply searing.
Grass-fed, heritage breed beef slow-grown to maturity on the lush, green pastures of the Yorkshire Dales. Dry-aged on the bone for >28 days.
- Take Flat Iron steaks out of fridge, remove packaging, pat dry with kitchen paper, pop on a plate and allow to reach room temperature
- Oil* the steaks and season generously with coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat a non-stick pan or cast iron skillet until smoking hot
- Add the Flat Irons to the dry pan resisting the urge to move them and turn after 2 minutes
- Once other side has cooked for 2 minutes, a rich golden crust should have formed. Turn every 30 seconds or so for a total cooking time of approx. 6-8 minutes
- Remove from pan and rest for 8 minutes
- Slice across the grain and serve
*Select an oil with a high smoking point and neutral flavour
Orders received before 9am are freshly prepared and shipped DPD for next day delivery. We serve the whole of the UK excluding Channel Islands, Northern Ireland, and some parts of Scotland.
Our meat has been celebrated in Britain's best restaurant kitchens for over ten years. There are many who claim to work with native breed farmers, but few who can prove it.
Sustainable & traceable
We have partnerships with selected farms and work with carefully selected local abattoirs so we have confidence in the welfare of the animals and full traceability of all our products.