- Suitable for freezing
- Delivered fresh
- Native breed
- Cook on the BBQ
Located near the brisket plate aka Short-ribs, Outside Skirt is a long, highly-marbled, open-textured muscle found 'outside' in the sense it is outside the main carcass.
In our opinion a very under-utilised cut and one of our favourites. For those unaware of this cut it is often a beefy revelation.
Our heritage breeds are reared on small family farms , slow-grown cattle that graze lush pastures on The Dales.
Val Warner says that Outside Skirt Steak is a beefy revelation, a woefully underused cut that excels over the pulsing glow of the charcoal grill. Taken from the outside brisket and with its well marbled meet and visible muscle structure, optimal eating temperature leans towards 53°C, medium done, after a fierce cook, rest and then slicing across the grain.
It is beefy in taste standing up to strong accompaniments such as the fiery delivery from the chimichurri sauce, that wonderful accompaniment of chillis, herbs and vinegar from Argentina. Alternatively, sliced and eaten with lentils in mustard sauce or creamed watercress and you’d be having a good time…….or perhaps indeed with a strong steak sauce comprising of beef stock, capers, English mustard and pickled walnuts. Brushed with barbecue sauce and then chopped and popped in a bun with burnt cheese also gets my vote.
Grass-fed, heritage breed beef, dry-aged on the bone for >28 days
- Take Outside skirt steaks out of fridge, remove packaging, pat dry with kitchen paper, pop on a plate and allow to reach room temperature
- Oil* the steaks and season generously with coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat a non-stick pan or cast iron skillet until smoking hot
- Add the Outside Skirt steaks to the dry pan resisting the urge to move them and turn after 2 minutes
- Once other side has cooked for 2 minutes, a rich golden crust should have formed. Turn every 30 seconds or so for a total cooking time of approx. 5-7 minutes
- Remove from pan and rest for 8 minutes
- Slice across the grain and serve
*Select an oil with a high smoking point and neutral flavour
Orders received before 9am are freshly prepared and shipped DPD for next day delivery. We serve the whole of the UK excluding Channel Islands, Northern Ireland, and some parts of Scotland.
Our meat has been celebrated in Britain's best restaurant kitchens for over ten years. There are many who claim to work with native breed farmers, but few who can prove it.
Sustainable & traceable
We have partnerships with selected farms and work with carefully selected local abattoirs so we have confidence in the welfare of the animals and full traceability of all our products.