- Suitable for freezing
- Delivered fresh
- Native breed
- Cook on the BBQ
Bavette steak, also referred to as Flank or Skirt steak, is a great alternative to the classics. Open-textured and deeply-flavoured, this cut is ideal for searing quickly and resting well. Best served pink in our opinion.
Valentine Warner says:
Bavette steak is expertly butchered from the meat at the back of the flank which curves down to the hind leg. A French term translating as ‘bib’, it is a wide, flat working muscle; the long-cabled, non-fatty structure clearly visible. Extremely beefy in its flavour it is certainly tasty. This steak is not best eaten rare, cooking to medium producing better results. It takes longer to cook than its thinness indicates and requires strong heat and patience. It needs a jolly good rest and more importantly it is essential to cut across the long, visible muscle cabling. From grass-fed, heritage breed cattle, Bavette is toothsome and tender. Cooked over charcoal I think produces some of the best results.
Relatively unknown in the UK, it is popular all over France and most often served with French fries and a green salad or in a simple and fitting sauce such as Bordelaise.
Bavette steak is wonderful with onions or shallots that have been rendered soft and sweet in butter with a little fresh thyme, cider apple vinegar, coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper. A sharp salsa verde (green sauce) would be a tremendous match. Chopped fine in a tartare is enjoyable, the taste and cost arguably more worth it than fillet.
Grass-fed, heritage breed beef slow-grown to maturity on the lush, green pastures of the Yorkshire Dales. Dry-aged on the bone for >28 days.
- Take Bavette steaks out of fridge, remove packaging, pat dry with kitchen paper, pop on a plate and allow to reach room temperature
- Oil* the steaks and season generously with coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat a non-stick pan or cast iron skillet until smoking hot
- Add the Bavettes to the dry pan resisting the urge to move them and turn after 2 minutes
- Once other side has cooked for 2 minutes, a rich golden crust should have formed. Turn every 30 seconds or so for a total cooking time of approx. 8-10 minutes
- Remove from pan and rest for 8 minutes
- Slice across the grain and serve
*Select an oil with a high smoking point and neutral flavour
Orders received before 9am are freshly prepared and shipped DPD for next day delivery. We serve the whole of the UK excluding Channel Islands, Northern Ireland, and some parts of Scotland.
Our meat has been celebrated in Britain's best restaurant kitchens for over ten years. There are many who claim to work with native breed farmers, but few who can prove it.
Sustainable & traceable
We have partnerships with selected farms and work with carefully selected local abattoirs so we have confidence in the welfare of the animals and full traceability of all our products.