Jonathan Jone’s Steak Pie
Jonathan Anchor & Hope’s Steak pie onion and beer pie500g Chuck
3 med onion
3 bay leaf
Slug of sunflower oil
Egg cup of flour
½ can proper favourite beer
Same amount of water
Slug of Worcester sauce
- Season the meat
- Heat the oil and in a casserole pan and brown the meat, remove from the pan using a slotted spoon
- In the same pan add sliced onions and gently cook without browning for 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir, picking any stuck on ‘gubbins’ as you go. Do this for a minute.
- Add the beef back to the pan along with any priceless juices.
- Add the beer stirring as you go. Do what you like with the remainder of the can…..
- Let everything bubble for a minute then add the water and Worcestershire sauce. keep stirring allow to boil.
- Taste, look assess – more seasoning?
- Too thick? Adjust. Happy?
- 150g suet
- 300g s/r flour
- Pinch of salt
- 100m; milk
- 100ml water
- 1 egg.
Mix the ingredients and let the pastry rest for 20 minutes.
Roll out the pastry to ½cm thick. Brush the edge of the pie dish with a little beaten egg then cover with the pastry. Use the off-cuts to decorate if you like. Brush the surface all over with more egg. Make a little hole for steam to escape. Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes or until the top of the pastry is golden and crisp.